About the Blog

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Concertable Adaptive Clothing

As hard as it is to find concertable clothing, adaptive clothing in concertable styles is even harder to find. Disabled musicians should look as fluteiful and professional as the rest of the ensemble, but that is very difficult with the limited availability of concertable adaptive clothing. I have never seen any adaptive concert attire, so I figured I'd do a quick scour for concertable adaptive clothing. After a quick scour of IZ, I have only found one concertable dress shirt for men and one concertable dress shirt for women. Some of the pants appear to be concertable as well. There are no concertable skirts for women. Tommy Hilfiger's line of adaptive youth clothing includes one concertable piece, which is good for elementary and middle school boys. None of the girls' clothing was even remotely concertable.

I searched "adaptive concert attire" and I did not see the three words together in any of the results. Both concert attire and adaptive clothing are niche markets, but not as much as lolita would be. I am surprised that no one has brought up any access issues regarding concert attire. The concert dress I have is absolutely lovely. However, it zips in the back with a tiny zipper. This poses no impedance to me personally, but it poses impedances to even other able-bodied girls. Therefore, someone with fine motor skill difficulties or no friend to zip their dress may have to settle for something less attractive and that disheartens me. Professional appearance is a big part of being a musician, so, if anyone is forced to be less fluteiful, that is detrimental to their musicianship and to the group's appearance as a whole.

If you have experienced any clothing impedances as a musician, let me know. If you manufacture concert attire, consider releasing an adaptive concert attire line.

5 comments:

  1. I really hope someone makes adaptive concert clothing. It would really help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you ever experienced difficulty in getting concert clothes on?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm bad with zippers and buttons and sometimes snaps due to myotonia and fine moter delays so it's hard for me to lift my arms above my head to put on a shirt or zip up my pants or button a dress shirt

      Delete
    3. Would magnetic or hook and loop closures work better for you?

      Delete
    4. Yes, some of my coats are hook and loop or toggle coats and those are easier.

      Delete