About the Blog

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Please Listen To Your Body

I went to a rehearsal at Wildwood. My stomach hurt a little, which was normal as I had gorged myself in anticipation of the day to come. As the rehearsal progressed, the pain got worse. I just thought I had a hard time digesting until the lower portion of my chest felt like it was on fire. This made it difficult to breathe and sit correctly. Multiple people corrected my posture during this time. I complied, not wanting anyone to mistake me for a malingerer.

Every accent felt like fanning the flames. The rest of the rehearsal left me in some awful pain. I didn't care about musical quality at that point, just making it though the rehearsal without vomiting or making a scene. When the rehearsal ended, I had to lie down, drink water, and wait for it to go away since there were no antacids available. I ended up learning my lesson about listening to my body the hard way--and I learned to limit my intake of orange slices.

Musicians, please listen to your bodies. I regret not leaving rehearsal earlier. If you feel too sick to continue with a rehearsal, please ask for a break. You are not lazy or less of a musician for asking for a break if you feel ill. If it occurs during a performance, give yourself a moment during intermission or in between songs. Use your trusted remedies if possible. Drink water at your desired pace and make sure you are truly okay to get back. If you will actually vomit, get off the stage as discreetly as possible and and find the trashcan backstage. (There usually is one.)

Yes, this is a beauty blog, but beauty is more than skin-deep. Health is the foundation for beauty. If you do not take care of yourself, it will show eventually. Especially since music is a heavily body-related activity, you should take care of your health as much as, if not more than, a non musician. The same goes for your mental health as well, which some people often forget is a subset of your physical health. The brain is a physical member of the body that undergoes physical processes that control the rest of your body's physical processes.

It is easy to forget your health as a musician due to the nature of such a field. However, please realize that health is the key to many things. Without it, you will suffer many losses.



2 comments:

  1. This is very important. I'm glad you ended up being okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh, heartburn or reflux.

    Asking for a break is so important. It should be early and often in the musical routine. And there are natural breaks if and when we look.

    Music is indeed a bodily-related activity.

    Yes, mental health is a subset of physical health.

    "Without it you will suffer many losses".

    ReplyDelete